Monday 10 January 2011

Improving weather

With the weather relenting rather than improving, I have begun to think of the coming season. I have always tried to get vegetables in early, that is when they are at the most expensive, hopefully I will be eating a few fresh vegetables out of my poly tunnel and greenhouse. On Saturday, I decided to set 3 dozen broad beans in modules and have them in my sitting room. hopefully they will all germinate. I intentionally set them early mainly because of black fly. Anyone who grows broad beans know that in late April onwards, black fly is a dreadful curse. If I am lucky, in mid June I will be eating broad beans, they will follow asparagus, that may be ready in late April or early May.
Today I went into the greenhouse and did a little preparation of the soil. It wanted watering as the soil was dry. I watered it and decided to sow 8 early potatoes in the soil. I have kept them from last year, they are called Arran Pilot. If all goes well, they should be ready to lift about 13 to 14 weeks after sowing. I will look after them as it is very early. They will be covered in February and early March if frosts are forecast.
By the way, when my Italian friend called last week, I just asked him to put me right on pruning the grape vine. I wish I hadn't asked, I told my friend to come with me so that he would know what to do. We were both none the wiser but I think I already knew what to do.
I think that some of the cauliflowers and cabbage plants survived in the poly tunnel. I will keep all updated. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ah Green Fingers!

    Michael Portillo's railway journeys (on the Bebe early evening weekdays just now) was in Ledbury for the cider and perry and in Hereford for the beef.

    Any minute now we'll have a virtual Sunday lunch!

    ReplyDelete