Friday 16 September 2011

Ex neighbour called

I was only thinking of Linda, my ex neighbour last night and this morning she called to see me. I asked if she would like a few runner beans and she told me she would love some as she had missed getting them from me.
I told her I was looking after the chickens for next door. Well only letting them out in the morning and feeding them. I then pop round in the afternoon to give them a few meal worms.
Yesterday morning, I guess it was well before 8.00am. I was at the garage and getting the feed for the chickens when I heard a car blow his horn, I turned round and this taxi driver was winding his window down he asked me if I could help him. I informed him that I was only a neighbour feeding the chickens. The taxi driver then told me he had come from Boston and was checking where to pick up next week. I asked him if he meant taking the young lad to Boston College. He affirmed this. I then told him that I had been informed that he was going to college about 3 times a week. I also told him that he was disabled. I did not tell him that he was mentally, not physically disabled. He told me he knew this. With that he left. A few minutes later I thought I heard someone calling me but as I am hard of hearing I was not sure. True enough though, it was the taxi back again. He asked me if they were on holiday and when they would be returning. I told him that next Monday she told me that they were coming back. He looked surprised as he told me he should be picking the lad up next Monday. As he had to also pick someone up in Alford, there would be no point in coming up the coast road if there was nobody to pick up. He then wrote a note and asked me to see if she would contact the taxi company immediately she returned so that arrangements could be made to pick the lad up.
I was left in some sort of a daze. Here we are supposed, that is the government is supposed to be cutting costs and here we are having a taxi service to take a lad to Boston College. There is a bus that takes all the young students to Boston College every day. It also brings them back in the evening.
I tried to work out how much it was costing the tax payer. A taxi form Boston to Alford, a journey of around 35 miles. That is around 140 miles a day. Boston to Alford and then back to Boston College, then the return journey in the evening.
I wonder if it is me or has the government got it's priorities wrong?
As for Linda, she has been house hunting since she left and has now found a bungalow and hopes to move in within the next 2 weeks. Once she has settled in she wishes me to visit her. Of course I will do, although I don't visit many people. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment