Thursday 29 September 2011

Medication

Yesterday my medication was delivered as usual by a very nice young man. He has begun to stop and tell me a little about his life. He is married and his wife is expecting a child, he is beginning to fret a little, I told him that he wasn't the first and told him not to worry.
Anyway the conversation turned to computers, I think I told him I had just changed my ISP.
He then informed me that he had taken City and Guilds examination on computers and thought he would try to work for himself repairing and helping people who were having difficulty with computers. He told me that he couldn't make it pay. For several reasons he said. First was that if their computer broke down, they expected you to be there immediately, also he said that a lot of them were rude.
I tried to explain just how the old and young do not mix with technology. I explained to him that I had nothing to do with computers until I was in my 60s.
Anyway he told me he was getting rid of some old tower computers and a few portable T.Vs. I told him that I would ask my friend, who was like him quite good with computers if he wished me to take them off you. If he did I would ring him up and confirm.
I rung my mate up and he told me that he would have them, if there was nothing then he could dispose of them. I duly rung him up and informed him that my mate would have them.
Tonight around 5.30pm the door bell rang, it was him with his wife who has about 2 weeks to go. She wanted to see my garden as he had told her all about it. I showed her round and gave her some beetroot, a few runner beans, a cucumber and a few tomatoes. She was impressed. I showed her how asparagus grew into large ferns. I told her that when her husband bought some plants, I would tell both how to grow them and when to harvest them.
Originally, he had told me he was going to take her to a local farmers who produces and sells Ice Cream. Unfortunately they were closed. Mind you she had a few bits and bobs to take home.
It was late last night when I thought just how much things have changed since I was young.
Like 99% of people we had no telephone connection in the home. There was always plenty of public telephones around. Substantially built red in colour ans very small. It cost two old pence to make a local call. Upon lifting the receiver the operator would ask "Number please". You would give her the number and she would then tell you she was connecting you. If there was anymore to pay she would ask for the amount to be put in. If it was a local call. She would say "You are through". You then pushed button A and you were then connected to who you wanted to talk to. You were allowed 3 minutes then you were cut off. If however the number you asked for did not answer, the operator would tell you and then you pressed button B and your two pence was refunded down by a chute.
As anybody who has read all of my blogs will know that I went into business in early 1969.
There were very few lines available and I was on a party line with the local fish shop. Mind you, I can't remember if there was an operator at the exchange requesting the number you wished, or you could dial direct. I somehow doubt if you could dial direct in those days. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment