Wednesday 14 September 2011

Just a little

My postman called a couple of days ago and informed me that a letter was required to have a surcharge of £1,36p. I asked him what it was all about as I had never had this happen before. He told me that it was happening more often. He told me that it was perhaps a large letter which had been incorrectly stamped. Well after some deliberation, I decided to accept the letter.
He told me that he had nothing to do with the letter as it was held back and he had not seen it but he would go back and ask for the letter and it would be delivered the next day. I told him I would wait in to make sure I was there when he came.
Yesterday morning he duly arrived. He had another letter too but the one with a surcharge was from my Bank. I told him as much. He then looked at the envelope, it was blank except for my name and address in the window box. Also in the top left had was the private and confidential note.
So it cost me £1.36 because it had gone through and had not been franked. I just said to him that I knew banks have been having a bad time of it, but didn't realise that It was that bad.
I gave him a few more grapes, a little small and a few hazel nuts. Off he went and it was about 5 minutes later when I realised I had not paid him the surcharge. Luckily enough he had only gone about 50 yds, I shouted to him and he reversed. I laughed and told him I had completely forgotten about paying him. He just remarked that he thought I had not the right money, anyway he told me he knew me so he was not worried.
Later I went to get my pension and went to a place where I get my skimmed milk. To my surprise I saw they were selling grapes. These were obviously home grown. I was rather pleased as they were small. A little smaller than mine. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment