Friday 17 February 2012

Dull but mild

Today has been warmer, mainly cloudy but with the temperature of just over 10c it made me go out and start to think of the coming spring.
First of all, I sprayed my fruit trees with a winter tar oil wash. I rather like the smell of that, just as well because it tends to hang around your clothes.
I then decided to clean up a couple of areas where I wish to plant my broad beans. I tidied the areas up and then did a little digging. Not too much because the ground is still a little too wet. Mind you, the snow finally went yesterday afternoon.
This afternoon I decided to get a couple of lengths of guttering. I guess about 6ft. I then put them in the polytunnel, half filled with compost and then set Little Marvel peas then covered them completely. What I have done is put a couple of sacks down in the extension, bought the filled gutterings in and laid them on the sacks. Now I will wait for at least a fortnight before I transfer them to the polytunnel.
Finally, I noticed that the odd tomato seed has germinated so I am pleased. Last year I tried I think to start them off extra early and a lot either didn't survive or just never germinated.
It is talking of getting a little colder for a few days but we are well into February so hopefully the worst of the winter is over. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment