Friday 10 February 2012

Repeat performance

On Thursday afternoon it started to snow again. Light generally but persistent. In fact it was just the same time as last Saturday. Like last week it was still snowing when I went to bed at 11.15pm.
The forecasters did not say this was what we were going to get, so earlier I decided to change my bed completely from the throw over to my fitted sheets. I decided to wash first of all the duvet cover, so I put it in the washing machine with a couple,of shirts.
Got up soon after 6.00am put the washing machine on, looked out and was surprised at the amount of snow we had.
When the washing was done, I went and hung it out, within minutes it was frozen solid. The snow on the ground was not too deep, only just over an inch but on the shed, polytunnel wheelie bins and things like that there was almost 3".
The sun rose about 7.30am. so waited to start producing electricity. To my disappointment nothing happened. At 9.00am. I looked at my roof where the panels were fitted. They were completely covered with what looked like several inches of snow. At 10.00am. still nothing was being produced so I decided to go into the loft, to be honest I thought the system had broken down. The inverter had just come to life but was not producing anything.
I went outside a little later and noticed that the snow had slipped and bunched up at the lower portion this made it about $22 thick. Still I expected to produce plenty of solar power. Not to be, the first 10 watts of power was produced at 11.30am. Sitting back, I thought that this is caused by one part trying to produce solar power but being offset by almost 50% of the panel being covered with snow, thus nullifying the portion trying to produce electricity.
To cut a long story short. I only managed just over 300watts or less than a kw.hour. What makes it all the more disappointing is that the solar panels are still covered with a portion of snow on all 14 panels. Still it wont be snowing 52 weeks of the year. Well I hope not anyway as this is a big setback to my projected First Quarter. Yesterday was not good either. Typical though, the first day in 6 we see a little sun and I have the worst day. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment