Thursday 23 February 2012

Shrove Tuesday

Tuesday was Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday. I did not forget the day but when I went to see my mate he obviously had forgotten.
When I went in to see his Mum, the first thing I asked was if she had her pancakes on Tuesday. She looked a little surprised until I told her that Tuesday had been Pancake Day. Then went on to explain how as youngsters it was a ritual, everyone seemed to have pancakes on that day. My Mother used to get the big yellow bowl, everyone seemd to have one. It was a dull yellow on the outside and white interior. She would make a lot and have a cup to pour the mixture. We used to have 1/2 an orange and have a little sugar also. Oranges were still scarce so it was a treat to have an orange. With 3 of us having a healthy appetite, by the time my Mother had made the first 3, my Sister would be waiting for seconds. I would then follow with my youngest Sister ready for another soon after. My Mother used to gat rather angry because all she seemed to do was make pancakes. Mind you, after 3 there was no more juice left in the 1/2 orange so that stopped us from wanting anymore. My mate's Mum told me that she had a lemon instead of Orange but everything was just as it was with us. Anyway, I guess she will be having a pancake before too long.
I went to the Surgery on Tuesday to ask if I could see a Doctor, the receptionist, who I know very well suggested that a call from a G.P. would be just as well. Anyway I agreed and just after 11.30am. a Doctor rang me. I have met him before and think he is a nice Doctor but on the young side. Well he told me after I explained what was wrong that he would do his best for me. I went to the local Dispensary this morning to see what was happening. To my surprise, after checking the computer the Assistant told me that there was some medication waiting to be collected 7 miles away. So in the next few days I will go and collect the medication. At least I may have some medication soon. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment