Thursday 26 July 2012

Back to normal

I don't know what weather map Paul Hudson was getting his information from but tonight he stated that Lincolnshire had had a lovely afternoon. I can assure him that here and I am between Mablethorpe and Skegness, it has been a dull day. About 6.50pm. there was a glimpse of the sun but only for a few seconds. It was a pity because yesterday afternoon turned cloudy and there was a cool wind. However the preceeding days was a huge improvement on what we have been having. It did bring out a few cabbage white butterflies. I have noticed that the wasps are conspicuous by their absence. I don't suppose anyone will be complaining.
 This afternoon I had a delivery of my medication. To be honest, I generally go and put my repeat prescription the same day I get my State Pension. This week I forgot so it was yesterday morning I put my repeat in.
 Dave, who is the delivery man told me that he had bought a couple of cherry trees from Lidl earlier this year. One was doing well but the other was not so good. He also told me that the cherry trees that he had noticed had little or no fruit on them. I told him that I had 3 cherry trees and 2 of them had a total of 6 cherries on. The other one had some fruit on but to be honest, they were a little disappointing. I did remind him that he must get protection for his trees as the blackbirds will eat all of the fruit before they are really ripe.  We discussed gardening in general. He did tell me that the strawberries were about done so I was very lucky to have that wonderful punnet given me. I still have  a couple of strawberries in jelly left. They really are magnificent. I do have to be careful though with strawberries as they don't suit me.  I told him that my grapes were beginning to turn. I am still a little disappointed at the size of them. He then remarked that a relative had bought him and his wife  a bunch last year  but they were bitter. I reminded him that if they stayed on the vine for a while, they would get much sweeter. I hope to give him a few, but not for another month or so at least.
My french beans, the climbing variety have gone mad during the hot weather. I gave again another couple of feeds to my postman. I gave him and my mate a couple of plants each. I know that they will be rewarded if they give them lots of water. I have been watering them each morning early, again around lunchtime and lastly late in the evening.
 I, once agin picked a few more runner beans. They don't like it too hot though, they are particular as they don't like windy weather either. What they do like is plenty of moisture. I have watered them each day. When I have finished here I will water them again tonight. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment