Wednesday 11 July 2012

Respite

Today we saw some sun, the first for a few days. Yes, we had a few showers but nothing compared to recent days.
  I was hoping the Cricket Match would be on T.V. It was coming from Birmingham but the game was called off because the ground was waterlogged.
 It isn't just in this Country though. In America, in the Colarado area, there has been droughts and severe fires that have destroyed many homes. In the Kansas areas the Corn crops are now in severe drought and look as if they have died. In the Eastern States, there has been severe thunderstorms and heatwaves. In Russia, many people were drowned by flooding. I do think it was because a dam burst.
 I can remember a colleague who used to call on me every week day. One day he said to me that we now know within  a day any news when 50 years ago it would take a week or more before the news was spread world wide. This was in the late 70s. Now the news is almost immediate. With satellite T.V. Worldwide news is transmitted within seconds.
 When I was young, I used to listen to cricket. Test Match cricket from Australia. It was of course transmitted via booster stations. The reception was not good at all but it was what we were bought up to.
 Older people will recognise that the radio reception was not good at all. Fadio Luxemburge was a classic example. Now, there are so many Radio Stations that there is no need to search for pop music. I wonder what the youngsters would think. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment