Tuesday 17 July 2012

Pea Picking

On Sunday morning as the weather was a little better I went in the garden and picked about 5 1/2lbs of peas. My back ached somewhat and thought to myself. I certainly could not work for a day let alone a week as the 70+ did . Mind you, I have not worked since 1997.
 the forecast was for rain so in the afternoon I decided to dig up a few more potatoes. The ground is in a poor state and the potatoes were covered in heavy soil. Also there was the odd potato that had rotted due to the wet weather.
 Later I checked my runner beans and was surprised to pick enough for a meal for Monday
 As promised Monday was a dull wet day, not summer like at all but we are promised something better by the week end.
 This morning I went to have my haircut. The barber told me that the traders were suffering and there had been another hairdresser set up in business on the main High Street. Unfortunately he only lasted 2 months.
 When I left after having my haircut, I walked by a man who was trimming a hedge. I mentioned to him that shrubs, trees and grass seemed to grow this year but root vegetables have not. We started to talk and he told me the best way to get rid of greenfly was to mix a cheap soap powder in water, then pour it over where the pests were. He told me that this would cure the problem. I didn't tell him that I have had much trouble with black and greenfly but it is a little late for me to try it out this year. I will certainly give it a go next year. I will mix soap powder in fairly hot water in a builders 2 gallon bucket, let it cool then pour it into a watering can.
  I have done quite well with peas, although they are not as sweet, broad beans also have done well. It looks as if my runner beans will also do well. My marrow plants are not producing any fruit just yet but there is time for them to produce fruit. In my polytunney my french beans are great and my cabbage which my Postman gave me have done well. Outside though they are not so good. Whether I will get any is anybody's guess. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment