Friday 3 August 2012

Computer problems

Yesterday I had computer  problems. I tried to delete something I no longer required. When I came to delete it, the prompt came are you sure. I clicked yes then came up the response. You have to have authority to continue and it refused to delete this item.
 As anyone who reads this knows, I am not computer literate whatsoever. Mind you I don't like to be beaten. I guess I spent at least 3 hours trying all I knew, which is next to nothing but eventually I managed to get the item deleted. I think I only managed to get it working temporarily still I did it.  Hopefully my mate will sort it out when he next comes to see me.
 Now to something completely different. It was on the News about food aid. What most of the younger people will not know is that here in England we received food aid of sorts in the late 40s.
 I was at school and it happened on about 3 occasions. All of us children were given a tin of stewed steak. From what I can remember, I think this was donated from Australia. I know that the beef was produced and packed in Australia.
 My Sister who was over 4 years older than me bought home, more than once a sort of drinking chocolate powder. We had never heard of drinking chocolate so we used it as a sort of sweet. It must be remembered that sweets were on ration. This chocolate powder which was sweetened was donated by the United States of America.
  What most people would not realise is that the Country was in a dreadful state after the war. There were pot holes in the roads, to be honest everything was in a poor state of repair. All the resources went to the war. It was not until the mid 50s that things began to get better.
 It did make us appreciate everything we had and taught us to be thrifty.
 Now they talk of austerity, they don't know the meaning of the word. Oh well that is the modern lifestyle for you.  
 I am pleasantly surprised at how well we are doing in the Olympic Games, pity the weather has gone back to what we have had most of this year  More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment