Monday 13 August 2012

Radio 4 extra

I listen to Radio 4 extra regularly each morning. Yesterday I switched on after I had my Sunday bath. It would be around 7.30am. It was half way through a programme talking about extreme weather. The conversation went something like this. Interviewer. "Was it real snow" Reply. "Yes I was there I saw it for myself. It was about 3cm deep and further up it was 5cm deep. It lay on the ground and at luch it was still below freezing. The next day the women were in their dresses. We were bowled out for 43 and lost by over 300 runs". I guesses they were talking of the snow in June in 1975. Replier."I will tell you this Dickie Bird was umpiring and  Ozzie  ***** was the next batsman. He had dentures  and when he walked out he said to Dickie, hold these for me, I won't be here long". Interviewer. Why was that? Was he so cold h was frightened his teeth would chatter". Repiler. No of course not he didn't want a baal to hit him in the face wearing dentures. Remember the ball was whistling round your ears and there were no helmets in those days".
  I was in business in those days running a cafe/restaurant. We had these people come from  Hertyfordshire way. It was Mother Daughter and her Husband plus a mentally disabled Son. They had come fior the last 3 years. rriving the week after Spring Bank Holiday and stopping for a fortnight. They had a chalet on one of the parks.
 The first week the Mother told us that she could not keep warm as there was only a small electric heater over the door. Half way on the second week, she told us that it was far too hot for her. Yes the weather had changed so quickly. By the way the daughter was huge, at least 22 stone.
 The following year they came again. This time the daughter had gone off to a shadow. We could see that she was not long for this world.
 Sadly we never saw them again.
  On a lighter note. The Olympic Games was a huge success. We did far better than I had expected. I was pleased that they did. The swimming and track results were not so0 good though. MO Farah did exceptionally well but he trained in the United States still he was brilliant.
  As Carl Lewis told everyone USA were top of the medal table. G.B. were great at finishing 3rd  a great result. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment