Tuesday 28 August 2012

Holiday over

The late Summer Holiday is now over not that it makes a deal of difference to me these  days.
 Last week end I had a pleasant surprise. I heard my neighbour, the one with the chickens, her partner was using his hedge trimmer to cut his hedge. Later I noticed that he had come round to mine and also trimmed my side of the hedge. I was surprised and of course very pleased.
 Later I took them some french beans, she loves them. I asked if they would be racing but they told me the pigeons had got a sickness so they would be having a week end off racing. Just as well really as the weather was not good for racing, or anything else much. She then asked me if  I would like a cucumber. I told her that would be nice. Indeed it was very nice indeed. It came from a all female plant so no need to take off the male flowers. To be honest, generally one cucumber lasts me as I am not a sales fan.
  My plums are beginning to ripen, but as they are some of them are splitting and the odd one has a maggot in the centre. It is caused by the plum moth. I did put a trap but the weather has been so bad that I suppose the moths were out later than normal. I know the plums are much later than I have ever known for ripening. They are normally ripe, that is the first plum tree it is called Early Laxton, they are generally ripe by early August. The Victoria plums are a little later but they will not be ready until early next month. Some of those too are beginning to split. Still I will get a few plums, most round here are not so fortunate. Perhaps I have made up for those because I have had no apples at all. More soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment