Thursday 30 August 2012

Chutney

Today my mate called to see me, it was nice as always but the weather did turn nasty. In fact it rained heavily and the wind, from the noth was strong and it also turned very cool.
  I managed to pick him a couple of marrows earlier so he had some of his favourite vegetables.
  I told him earlier that I had made some runner bean chutney. He had told me the last time he came that onions were on offer. I asked him to get me a net. In the meantime I decided to make this chutney.
  When I was in business there were many nice people that I made friends with, none more than a couple from near Newark. They had a touring caravan which they kept on a site near Skegness. They would come to see me regular and always told me they only cmae up to see me. It was then £2 to park their car.
  I was taken ill towards the end of 1997 and never swa them again before I sold the business. I was lucky because the couple who bought the business from me had several requests from customers to tell them where I had gone to. This couple they did give my address to. One day the following year there was a knock on the door and sure enough it was this couple. I was so pleased to see them. He had given me some strawberry plants several seasons before, so when they came I always gave them a little something to eat. Both had type 1 diabetes although I didn't know this at that time.
  One day thay asked me if I had ever tasted runner bean chutney. I told them I had not. His wife then told me that the next time they came to see me she would bring me the recipe.
When they would come he would always bring me something and I found out that he loved my James Grieve apples so I used to save almost everyone hjust for him although I never let him know this. He used to bring me plums in the late summer which he knew I loved.
 True to her word the next time she bought the recipe. By the way, they would ring me and tell me they would be calling in the next day.
 As it was late summer, I decided to try this chutney out and made it but only using half of the measures supplied. I was delighted with the outcome.
 The couple called regular for the next 3 years but sadly, soon after giving me a call informing me he had been in hospital but was on the mend and soon hoped they would be down to see me his wife rung me up to tell me he had died . The year before they had told me that they would not be taking their tourer to Skegness again but they would come to see me.
 I was looking at some papers when I saw this recipe. I could not believe it. The recipe was put on a millennium paper so I guessed it was given to me no later than 2001. He must have died no later than earlier 2012. I could not believe it, how time flies.
 Anyway I decided to make another lot of chutney. Unfortunately I didn't have any onions but lots of small shallots so I started to peel them. It took me ages as my shallots were the worst I have ever had just about the size of small marbles.
 oday I gave my mate a taste to see if he liked the chutney. He certainly did, so much so that he wanted the recipe, I gave him a pen and paper so that he could copy it down whilst I washed the pots and pans after our dinner(lunch).
 Anyway I have decided to post the recipe so anyone who wants to make this chutney I am sure will be well pleased.
2.lb of Runner Beans
1.1/2lb of Onions
1.1/2 lbs Sugar
1.1/2 pints of Malt Vinegar
1. Tablespoonful of Turmeric
1. Tablespoonful Dry Mustard
1.1/2 Tablespoons of Cornflour
Method.
Slice beans and cook in a little water until tender
Peel and chop onions and cook separately in a little water until tender. Drain both beans and onions.
Add both beans and onions together with 1.1/4 pint of vinegar, add sugar and bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Mix Tutmeric, Mustard and Cornflour with 1/4pint of Vinegar. Add to the pan bring to the boil and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
Allow to cool then bottle when cool.
If you don't like chutney too sweet then reduce the amount of sugar.
This amount will make about 5 jam jars of chutney. I decided to do only half of the amount so had almost 2.1/2 jars of chutney. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment