Wednesday 1 August 2012

Saucepans

My mate called today, it is always nice to see him. Last time he came I had asked him to get me some stainless steel saucepans. When he bought them I was dismayed. They were all stainless steel and had none of the phenolic handles and tops that resisted heat. It was 100% my fault entirely. I just thought he would know about this. Mind you, I had done something similar many years ago.
 I guess it would be well over 20 years ago. My Mother was still able to walk with the aid of me helping her. Morrison's Centre had just let one of it's units to a shop selling kitchen products. As we looked at the display outside the shop. My Mother noticed a 3 tier Steamer. To see a 3 tier one was unusual and the cost was only £15. Generally if you saw one it would be £30 or there abouts. My Mother then remarked that it was probably a flimsy product. I told her we would check up and go inside.
 Once inside the assistant was most helpful. She readily let us inspect the steamer. My Mother told me it was a solid make and I agreed with her so I decided to buy it there and then.
 When we go to my Mother's home we had a drink and my Sister came to see us. My Mother told her that I had bought a good 3 tier steamer. My Sister asked if she could look at it as she would like a 3 tier steamer too. I went to my car and bought it in for her to look at. She agreed that the steamer was a good make but it had one fault. She pointed out that with the solid stainless steel handles, when the pan got hot it would be impossible to lift the pan without having some protection as the handles would be too hot to handle.
 When I got home I decided to use it. Sure enough the handles got so hot it was impossible to touch them by hand. I thought that I would never again fall into the trap of buying anything that had no resistance to the transference of the heat. How wrong I was.
  Now the truth of the matter is that I bought a clock(buy one get one free) from a Company. Yesterday they sent me their latest catalogue. It is hard to believe but on opening the page, there was  a set of 3 saucepans with handles resistant to heat, for less than my mate had bought me. Also there is a 10 year guarantee. Needless to say, I have this afternoon ordered a set. I'm still learning at my advanced age. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment