Tuesday 27 July 2010

A little rain


Although the photo is not the best the cabbage white butterflies and bees love the scent and nectar of lavender.

This is called Echinacea common name is Purple Cone Flower. Butterflies and bees love this flower. I think there are 7 wild honey bees and if you look carefully you will see 1 domestic honey bee. During the last 3 years or so, the honey bees have become very scarce. I encourage the butterflies and bees and the honey bee is the one that has almost disappeared. I wonder if this is one reason why I am getting a poorer germination of runner beans. To be honest though I think it is more due to the weather as runner beans do not like it too hot.

These are a few alpine strawberries in my polytunnel. To be honest, I think they would grow even better outside. They are reasonably sweet but taste rather scented. I like them but can not eat many.
At last a little rain, the weather man stated that there would be dribs and drabs of rain, but there were heavy and torrential downpours around. We did get a heavy shower for about 10 minutes, this did wet the ground and half filled my water butts so I must not grumble.
I may go to have my haircut tomorrow. I must not act as I did last time I went. There were a few men in plus a woman. I thought she was the owners wife. I started to talk to her, well this young man was in the chair for ages, stating that he wanted just a little off here or a little off there. I eventually said to her " Look at that young man faffing and farting about. They are so particular these days, it wouldn't have happened in my days, no electric clippers. They were all hand clippers and just a comb and scissors The only style was short back and sides". We carried on talking in general for about another 5 minutes. Eventually he got out of the chair, the woman got up and I expected her to go to the till and take the money. To my surprise the young man went to the counter and the owner who had cut his hair told him how much £5 and he paid he then went out with this woman who was his girl friend. That will teach me. It was a good job I didn't say what the barbers always said to the adults after cutting their hair. " Anything for the weekend sir?" Will tell you if anything happens if I go tomorrow.
I hope that this is an improvement as I am learning slowly, I think it looks neater. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment