Thursday 8 July 2010

No change

Today, my friend came to see me, my watering system in the polytunnel was playing up. I think, well I do not think, I know that I need another power washer. He will now look for one for me. I dug him some potatoes up. Surprisingly, there were quite a few on each root, smaller than they should be but the skins were nice and moist so they will scrape well. Also today, I have picked a few cherries, I will take photos of them tomorrow. The weather is set fair and it is going to get hotter if that is possible.

The photos show the shallots in the garden almost ready to be lifted, and in the polytunnel being dried. I have since got most of them dried and into nets so I will have enough for the winter and plenty for setting next year.

I have 1 runner bean almost ready, it is about 25cm long 10" the variety is Enorma. There are a few more nearly ready and I think I will have a taste in 2 or 3 days.

I have noticed that this year there is loads of white flies about. I can not recall seeing so many before. I guess it is because the prolonged hot and very dry weather.

The tomatoes in the greenhouse are beginning to ripen. Gardeners Delight are going well. The plum variety are nowhere near ready though yet.

Beetroot in the garden is beginning to be harvested, also greensage garden peas are plentiful but must be picked quickly as they will soon go to seed.

Apples and plums are only fair, the greenfly have once again played havoc with the plum trees. There are plenty of plums falling off the trees. I guess this is because the lack of rain. Still I should have some.

Again today there have been lots of small tortoishell butterflies about, also the odd cabbage white, I must cover the broccoli plants or will be in trouble. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment