Tuesday 24 January 2012

Rain

Today has been very poor for producing electricity. All morning it rained, not torrential rain but steady rain. By early afternoon I thought it had stopped so I decided to go and get my pension and do a little shopping. Had I not needed milk I would have waited until tomorrow. So I went, it was a damp drizzly afternoon and very cold 3c.
I have never mentioned this before, but I do get a feeling of excitement every time I collect my State Pension. I think this is because working for myself, I didn't collect a weekly wage. Well not since the 1960s so it is a thrill to get cash in my hand.
My Grandfather on my Mother's side was a careful man with money, I think I get it from him. He was called up to the Army in the 1914-18 war. He was severely injured and invalided out of the Army. He had a piece of shrapnel embedded in his jugular vein. Each time he went for an examination at the Hospital, the Doctor in charge would have some students and they would listen as the blood would drip past the shrapnel. Needless to say, he was never allowed to work again. He was given a small war pension and managed to save a little on what he was given.
Of course I never knew of this, but once when I was very young we all went to visit them, I recalled my Grandfather leaving the living room and going to his bedroom. When he returned my Grandmother asked him if he had finished counting his money. He retorted that if those that he left the money to had as much pleasure as he had saving it, then they would have lots of pleasure. I can certainly understand where he was coming from. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment