Monday 30 January 2012

cold

Today has been dull and cold so very little solar power produced. In fact from lunchtime yesterday there has been no sun. Tomorrow doesn't sound much better.
Tomorrow morning I go and take my car in for Service. Today someone told me that there was snow in places near me, all we had was a little light rain. Let us hope that in the morning it is fine because I am 3/4 of a mile from the Service Station so don't want to walk back in the rain.
Now to something different. I saw a Tarzan poster on T.V and it bought to mind my days of youth. Well to be honest early days.
My Sister was 4 years older than me and I guess this would be in the mid 40, probably 1944 to 45. The war was going well regarding Air Raids and as I lived on an Estate there were several youngsters and occasionally we would get together to play. As we lived on the edge of town we had a short walk to be in the country.
The older children ruled us youngsters. I would probably be 7 or 8. My Sister and her friends would tell us what we could and could not do. The favourite pastime seemed to be climbing trees. Mainly willow trees as there was a stream that run where the trees were. As children we youngsters were told that one big tree was out of bounds and in was called Tarzan. Incidentally, I never did climb that tree because as I reached I think 9 we moved, still on the Estate but about 1/4 mile further away.
I realise that the youngsters of today miss out on so many things. They have computers so sit there for ages.
I used to play with my Cousin. We knew all about seasons. We knew when to go mushrooming, blackberrying(I did more than my cousin he was not too keen)conkering, cheggying(sweet chestnuts) and later in the Autumn walnutting. This was very bad for your hands as they were stained as if you had been smoking.
Conkering was fun. We used to catch a bus to the next village 2d it cost, then we would call at a lady called Mrs Bullock on the way to the conker tree. She would sell us a 1d worth of fallen apples. Generally codling as they were one of the first to ripen. She also had an old fashioned hand water pump. We would have a go lifting the handle and pulling it down. It must have been a well but I can assure you the water gushed out copiously.
We would then walk down a very steep hill called Casthorpe Hill. There were steep sides rising on either side and on the right hand side was a lot of Sweet Chestnuts. These would be ready about 2 weeks after the conkers. The road was hardly wide enough for 2 cars to pass but at the bottom of the hill there was a field on the left. There was a huge Horse Chestnut tree there in the field. about 20 yards away was the Walnut tree. The walnuts would be another month before they would be ready.
We used the same process for conkers ans walnuts. There was a couple of large sticks and we would throw them up into the tree, hoping to knock the conkers from their shell cases. Sometimes it would take ages but generally we didn't have to wait long before we had enough conkers.
Sweet chestnuts were different. I don't think many knew of their whereabouts because whenever we went, there were plenty of chestnuts on the ground. The only problem was that their cases were very prickly. We managed always to get lots though.
Finally when it came to walnuts it was not so easy. The tree didn't bear the same amount fruit as the other trees and to be honest, we never really got as many as we wished but always sufficient to satisfy us. Our parents complained because generally they were quite often in their cases. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment