Tuesday 9 August 2011

Few observations

When I was at the Kiosk, there were one or two things that happened that were out of the ordinary.
The first one I can remember was on a fine sunny day I think in either May or June several Customs and Excice men came up. They were in uniform and came in for a drink. Most had coke, anyway one of them stayed at the counter so I asked him what he was doing up here. Expecting him to say that they were waiting for some project. This was not the case. He told me that they had come to the Car Park which incidentally was on the sea front. They had come to see if there was any smuggling of goods happening. At first I thought he was joking, but he was deadly serious. He told me that small boats came ashore on the beaches such as we have in Lincolnshire. I didn't see them again so I guess that it was a wasted journey.
Another time, there was a Police car, well not a marked car ut the Police were in uniform. There would be 3 of them and came up to the Car Park on a Friday. Well this went on for several weeks and as they always came in for a cup of tea, I eventually asked them what they were doing. I must admit, that one guy came everytime nad often had two different guys. He told me that they were based at Lincoln and they were on Advanced Driving. He told me that he was the instructor. He also told me that they would use the same route for about 4 months and then they would alter the route. This must have happened about 1 month later, for that was the last I saw of them.
The third unusual happening was the Canoe Club. It must be remembered that we are a seaside place. I was quite surprised to see Canoes. The Car Park supervisor was informed and he told me. There was about 40 vehicles that would be on the Car Park over a week-end. It turned out that the Canoe Club was based, I think in the Northampton area. As it happened, there had been little rain during the preceding 2 years and the rivers were running low. So they decided to come to the seaside. This was I guess in April. I know it was cold. All the Canoeists had wet suits on and there was a wide range of ages. The younger ones wanted drinking chocolate but the hardier older ones just had tea. They certainly enjoyed the stay, so much that the following year, they came again. Mind you, I think this time the sea was a little rougher and it was a lot colder. I never saw them again.
Now to something different. Yesterday I went for my hair cut. There were a few in and in the chair was a young lad I guess 10 or 11. He was in the chair for ages and had I think they are called lines on the side. It looked O K. The man who followed me in turned to me and asked if I was going to have anything like that. I reminded him that we would not be sitting in a chair like that. There would be a stool which spun round to either lift or lower the seat. He laughed and told me that also the only haircut was a short back and sides. I told him that this is what I ask for, adding that I also ask for a bit off the top. He turned to me showing his near bald top and told me he asks for a number 4.
The barber is doing much better now, I am pleased to say. His opening times were shown and now he closes on a Wednesday also Sundays too. He is also closing for a week or more from the 22nd. August till the 30th. August. Mind you for us pensioners it is only £4.00p. £5.50 for normal adults, however it is £5.50 for all on a Saturday. More soon.
P. S. M. You are correct with charity shops. Will be in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment