Wednesday 10 August 2011

Static Caravans

On Monday afternoon I had a phone call from a Representative from the Bulk LPG Company. I originally spoke to him in March and told him that I wished to transfer to them. He asked me to contact him in early April and he would come down to see me. Well I rang up and he was on holiday so I had another guy. He was very nice and we did all the paper work, only to find out that I had inadvertently signed another form which had been printed and a later date was inserted. My fault for not noticing. Well on September 1st I can transfer so last week I rung them up to confirm that I was ready to move to them. The receptionist told me that the man who had originally seen me had moved to a new area, and this man was on holiday.
Well he rang me, I reminded him that the only times I have tried to contact him, he was on holiday. He then told me that he had been on holiday, very near to where I live. He said that he and his wife used to go to Cromer but it was taking ever longer to get there. The last time being 5 hours so they decided to look to where I used to work.
He told me that they had bought a lovely static caravan on this site. I immediately told him it was the most prestigious site in the area. There were restrictions and no lettings allowed but they could let their close relatives have use of the caravan. He readily agreed with me and told me that this is just what they wanted, a quiet place where there were no undesirables at all.
How did I know about this? Well it must have been in the early 70s when this couple started to come in to our place every Saturday and Sunday during the season. After the first season we , well my Mother really started to talk to them. They were a very nice couple. It turned out that the Husband worked on British Steel as a Personnel Officer. He was a well spoken man, his wife was very nice too but she was more down to earth with a Yorkshire accent. One day my Mother asked them if they had a property in town. He told her that they had bought a static caravan just out of town. They bought it for 2 reasons. The first was it was not cheap to stay there so it kept the undesirables away and secondly, the site was open from March1st. and closed on 31st October. Generally though it closed on the Sunday nearest 31st October. The largest site used to open 1 week before Easter and close the end of September. Most other sites used to open the Saturday nearest 15th. March and close the 15th. October. It must be remembered that this was the early 70s.
They came to see us every week-end until I guess around 1986. He was cutting the little piece of lawn round his caravan when he told his wife he didn't feel too good. He thought it was indigestion. Unfortunately it was a heart attack.
When he died, there was a full page all about him. I didn't know that he was a councillor and among other things he was a J.P. All his wife would say about him when he was living was, she hardly ever saw him as he had to attend so many meetings and functions. She informed us that she was not interested in going to functions. Anyway, that is how I came to know just how exclusive this site is.
The representative will be calling me to make an appointment to sign the relevant documents, no doubt he will tell me all about the caravan site. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment