Tuesday 16 August 2011

Plums

To be honest, I always try to tell of my failures as well as my successes.
This year, I have had lots and lots of plums, unfortunately a lot of them have what they call the plum moth. That is when you bite into the plum near the stone is a moggot. After the first one I now cut all the plums in half and I have been surprised at just how many have been affected. I would take a guess that it is at least one third of all fruits. I am ashamed that normally I give some away but this year I can definitely say that no plums will be given away. Early next year, I will have to get a trap to catch the plum moths.
Now my friend M. mentioned that there were many charity shops around. I must tell you this. My mate who calls regular is I think he calls it a Monitor on a free cycle site. This is how it works.
You can request articles I think 4 items in any month provided you have also offered something to be given away. I don't know how it works as I have asked him if he sees a couple of small saucepans then get them for me. This was ages ago. He informs me that generally it is furniture that is put up for free collection.
I asked my friend also to check the charity shops in Skegness and he told me that there was nothing like that, in general it was clothes that was for sale and not as cheap as they used to be.
Still managing to stay free of wasp stings. I am doing fine with runner beans. This morning I took to my local P.O where I collect my pension, about 4lb of runner beans, these were pulled within a day and this also included meal for me. Tomorrow, I intend to have for my main mean smoked Haddock. When I was at Grantham I was hoping to get a Herring but Morrisons had none so I picked a pack of smoked Haddock there were 3 fillets in the pack so I had half last Thursday so will finish them off tomorrow. This will mean I will have loads of runner beans again. I also took 3 small bunches of grapes and a meal of french beans. I am still a little disappointed with the size of the grapes. Next year I will definitely see if I can do something about it.
When I got back home I went into the garden and picked a few beetroot and another marrow. Each marrow has been about the same size 5lb or more.
The other day I dug a few potatoes up, some of them had been eaten by eel worm, commonly thought to be slugs. Still I managed to get enough for several meals. I think I will not be buying potatoes until some time in September. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I hate that thing when you bit into something and find there's something alive inside it!

    I'm not in the least surprised you're now cutting them up.

    Marrows - what on earth do you do with them? There often in our local shops around now and my mum used to stuff one with minced mutton and serve it sliced and grilled or oven baked, I think. Was fine with some tomato ketchup!

    I think my sister once made some marrow (and ginger?) jam.

    But they don't taste of much, do they? A bit like a vaguely savoury version of a melon - I can take or leave those too!

    ReplyDelete