Thursday 11 August 2011

An Invitation

Yesterday early evening I heard my letter box rattle so I knew something had been posted.
I went to my outer door and found a nice clean envelope with nothing on it. However it was sealed. I opened it and to my surprise I found an invite to some guy's 60th birthday. There was going to be a party starting around 3.00pm with a live rock band around 7.00pm followed by a Karaoke to around midnight.
I personally will not be going and suppose I will be in the land of nod by the time the party is in full swing.
I don't think the noise will affect me as I am not immediately near the place. Still I suppose it is the thought that counts. Mind you who wants to celebrate a 60th. birthday?
Today I went to see my Sisters and fill up with fuel. I have not filled up since the end of May. Mind you, I had only done 535 miles when I filled up at ASDA there it was 1.36.7p per litre of diesel. The total fuel I put in to fill the tank was almost 33 litres. I worked it out and had got approximately 74 mpg. To me that is great. I do now try to drive a little slower these days.
It was nice to see my Sisters, I took them a few vegetables and fruit including a few grapes. really they would have been better had they stayed on the vine for another fortnight but they were O.K.
Today when I got back I went to see if my plums were ripening. To my horror, I noticed that they were being attacked by wasps so I have picked a lot this afternoon. They are not ready just yet but will ripen in a couple of days indoors.
I didn't realise the damage the wasps could do in a short time. It was a lady called Janice, she worked odd days at the old Post Office where I used to get my pension until the owner sold the business. Anyway one day in August she was full of it, telling me that here and her husband had been on holiday for a fortnight and when they got back, the wasps had eaten all the plums. I thought she was stretching it out a bit, but I now know that she was telling the truth, Mine had only been left a day and the wasps were having a field day. More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Well, should I have the great fortune to be once again on the eve of my 60th birthday, I would definitely consider it an occasion for celebration. But I agree that the first time reaching that milestone is a bummer! I'm not sure I would want to advertise the fact.

    I am averaging 19.4 mpg with my Ford - smaller US gallon but a puny figure nevertheless. I am green with envy!

    ReplyDelete